Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, May 25, 2012

My Honest Opinion

A few weeks ago I was watching an episode of Ellen and Jessica Alba was one of her guests.  Looking back, I can't even remember what exactly she was promoting but I do know she spoke about her new venture - The Honest Company - a company that produces chemical-free products for babies and families.  Since she spoke about baby products, I was instantly intrigued and got online to find out more.

The Honest Co.'s website is very appealing with it's clean and simple look with really great information that is visible in a clear manner.  One of the first things that caught my eye were the words "Free Trial."  I clicked on the tab and was taken to a page with a series of a few short questions regarding my household.  I was then given the option to choose the Honest Diapers and Wipes bundle and/or the Family Essentials bundle.  Seeing as both options were FREE (all I had to pay was $4.95 for shipping), I chose both bundles.  In just 4 short days, our package arrived.  


Isn't this just the cutest packaging ever?! I loved it right away :)


The diapers and wipes bundle included 7 biodegradable disposable diapers and a pack of 10 biodegradable wipes.  One note worth mentioning, you have the option to select some really cute and modern patterns for the color of the diapers you order - no more boring white!  The Family Essentials bundle included sample size bottles of laundry detergent, shampoo & body wash, healing balm, face & body lotion, and hand soap.

My absolute favorite item was......the.....diapers!!  These diapers are amazing!  For starters, they're biodegradable, 100% non-toxic, chlorine-free, sustainable, and made of plant-based materials; all of which,  make them super safe for baby.  But also, they held up great and did their job fantastically too! I have to admit, I was a little skeptical about trying out a new diaper since our tried and true Pampers Sensitive diapers have never failed us - no leaks, no rash, no nothing for 17 months.  Therefore, my approach to trying out these new diapers was to gradually do so.  At first, we only used them during the day when I knew that Nick was only going to pee.  Then I got brave and put one on Nick after he ate a complete meal fully loaded with fiber and protein!  The Honest diaper passed that test too! Now came one more challenge - the overnight diaper.  Since Nicholas can sleep overnight anywhere between 10 to 12 hours, a diaper needs to be really absorbent.  And sure enough, the Honest diaper held it's own there too.  

When I first put the diaper on Nicholas, I noticed that the elastic inside the diaper (the part that touches the inside of the leg) looked a little tight.  I was afraid that Nick would get red and irritated there, but nope, they're apparently a lot more comfortable than they seem because there was no chaffing.  The backside around the waist area has a small "elastic band" that helps prevent gaping and seems to make the diaper fit just right all the way around.  Also, I quickly noticed that these diapers don't have that medicinal type of smell that regular diapers have - that's a major plus for me.  The only downside to this diaper is that it seems to be really noisy.  You know your baby is wearing a diaper with these diapers on.  But for me, all the pros definitely outweighed this one downside.


Cutest baby bum ever!

My next favorite products were the samples of the laundry detergent, hand soap, and face & body lotion.  All these products did their job well and have the added perks of being safe and non-toxic.  The Honest Company does not use any harmful or health compromising chemicals in any of their products.  I liked that all these products did not have an overwhelmingly obvious scent and that the hand soap did not dry out my hands.  The lotion was also good because you could feel it sink into your skin and soothe any dryness.  I strongly dislike lotions that are runny and/or sticky.  This one was the exact opposite.  Great products!

Unfortunately, there were a few items that I wasn't all that excited about.  For starters, the wipes.  When Nicholas was 6 months and started eating solid foods, we had to switch from the Pampers Sensitive Wipes to the Pampers Sensitive Thick Care Wipes.  Let's just say I needed a wipe that could handle a lot more during diaper changes!  I love my son, but it's pretty gross when you can feel what you're wiping.    Sadly, the Honest wipes are quite thin in comparison to the wipes we currently use so I wasn't sold on this product.  The shampoo & body wash wasn't terrible, but for Nicholas' fine yet curly hair, it seemed to make it feel dry and frizzy.  Nicholas' hair is usually pretty shiny on it's own, but the morning following his evening bath, his hair just looked dull and messy.  And yes, he did have bed head, but usually once I re-wet it and comb it, it settles down.  However, that wasn't happening this time.  Lastly, the healing balm just seemed like regular Vaseline.  I'm fortunate to not have to deal with diaper rash a whole lot with Nicholas, but when I read "healing balm" on the tube, I expected a cream-like substance comparative to Desitin.  I can see how this Healing Balm can help protect babies' bums from getting a rash, but I don't see it healing any redness or discomfort.  But, since Nicholas didn't have any kind of diaper rash to treat while we were testing out these products, I don't know for sure.

And now, for how all this works.  Should you decide you only want to try out the samples, you have until 7 days after you receive your trial package to cancel your membership.  If you do not call to cancel, the bundle you selected will automatically be shipped out to you and you will be charged for your first monthly subscription.  Since I wasn't ready to receive more diapers because we had just purchased some, I simply called the Customer Service line and had my membership inactivated.  The process was really simple and the Customer Service rep was extremely polite and willing to help me.  You don't see that very often anymore! The rep also informed me that they are flexible and willing to work with the customer when it comes to how often the bundles get shipped out.  

All in all, I was extremely impressed with this great line of products.  Another great thing to note is that with every purchase you (and I) make, Honest will donate diapers to children in poverty.  I love shopping and supporting companies that pay it forward and help those in need.  

Thanks for stopping by,
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment